Celts Triumph in Old Firm Cup final

By Stewart Primrose
Celtic Celebrate Old Firm win photo courtesy of BBC
Celtic Celebrate Old Firm win photo courtesy of BBC

Celtic defeated Rangers 2-0 yesterday to win the Co-operative Insurance Cup, after an extra time victory.

Goals from defender Darren O’Dea in the 91st minute and an Aiden McGeady penalty in the dying minutes of the game gave the Bhoys their first major trophy of the season.

Much like the last Old Firm derby, the match started tentatively. Both sides seemed to cancel each other out early on, partly thanks to both managers deploying identical 4-1-4-1 formations.

Celtic’s best chances in the first half came with Scott Brown, who had several efforts go just over the bar, while Rangers’ Kyle Lafferty forced a good save from Celtic goalkeeper, Artur Boruc.

The second period began much as the first had ended. Glen Loovens had a header cleared off the line by Pedro Mendes and substitute Nacho Novo looked lively, creating a few opportunities for Rangers.

The game then stretched as both sides went looking for a winner in 90 minutes, but to no avail.

But it was Celtic, and an unlikely hero in O’Dea, who finally broke the deadlock a minute into extra time. A free kick from Shunsuke Nakamura was met well by the Irishman, who headed high past Rangers Goalkeeper, Allan McGregor.

Darren O'Dea   photo courtesy of Daily Mail
Darren O'Dea photo courtesy of Daily Mail

The Hoops gained confidence from their goal and should have added more soon afterwards, with Scott McDonald and Georgios Samaras both guilty of weak efforts in front of the Rangers goal.

The Gers failed to go on the offensive after conceding and seemed to tire and run out of ideas. Then, with moments to go, McGeady raced clear on the counter-attack, only to be brought down by Kirk Broadfoot in the penalty area.

The Rangers defender was sent off and McGeady coolly stepped up to take the penalty and send his supporters and team mates into raptures with virtually the last kick of the game.