Second Fire for Kushi’s in Just Two Years

By Colleen Reid

An Indian restaurant in Dunfermline has suffered minimal damage after a fire broke out yesterday afternoon.

The Fife branch of the Kushi chain is the second to catch alight, after a major blaze ripped through the Edinburgh branch in 2008.

Discovered by neighbouring club Lourenzo’s general manager Jim Meenan at 12.10pm, the fire was quickly extinguished and the eatery suffered only minimal damage. Fire officials are said to be investigating the source of the flames and have confirmed that no one was injured.

The previous fire in Edinburgh’s Victoria Street, on the 19th December 2008, was severe in comparison, with the restaurant yet to re-open.

Suffering structural damage, the restaurant closed for repairs along with next-door nightclub the Liquid Rooms. The nightclub recently re-opened for business but the restaurant is still in distress.

Since December 2008 the Mohammed family who own Kushi’s have been in a long-running dispute over the payout to insurance company Aviva. In July 2009 the family revealed that the cost of repairs would be covered from their own funds as lawyers battled for a payout.

Not only is the fire the chain’s second, it is also the second major fire in Dunfermline city centre in a matter of months. Following an arson attack, Thomson’s World of Furniture was ravaged by fire on the 8th of August. Fire fighters from neighbouring districts were called in to battle the blaze in the former furniture store.

Dunfermline Fire Station relocated to Pitreavie Business Park from beside Thomson’s just months before. Three teenage males were arrested and charged over the attack.