A second sexual assault has taken place on the Meadows,
only a week after a similar attack was reported.
The second attack took place on Tuesday November 22nd between 6:50 and 7pm, alongside the Meadows tennis courts. The 21 year-old victim was running alongside the courts when she was forced to the ground by a male assailant, who then sexually assaulted her.
However, she was able to fight him off, and the suspect was seen to disappear towards Buccleuch Street. He was described in a Lothian and Borders police statement as being 5ft 10ins tall, around 30 and dark-skinned, possibly Indian in appearance. He was wearing a grey hooded top and appeared to be clean-shaven.
This second attack comes almost exactly a week after a 19 year-old woman was attacked by two men near Melville Drive. Police are not treating the assaults as being linked, but have considered it as a possibility.
A police press officer said that no new information had been released, and “inquiries are still ongoing” for both incidents.
A statement from Lothian and Borders police said there”will be a continued police presence in the Meadows to provide reassurance to the public.”
A candlelit vigil has been organised by Reclaim The Night Edinburgh, and will begin in Bristo Square at 7pm. Following this, there will be a 2.2 mile march around the streets of Edinburgh. The march is due to pass through Grassmarket, Cowgate and then back up the Royal Mile, before returning to Bristo Square.
Representatives from several charities will make speeches following the march, though the identities of these speakers has not yet been confirmed.
Suzi Compton, who has been responsible for organising the event, explained that the march had been planned prior to the Meadow’s assaults and that they were not the direct reason behind tonight’s event. However, she added that these attacks had “given [the event] greater relevance.”