Young mother died in paracetamol overdose, enquiry hears.

The dangers of an over-the-counter painkiller overdose Image: pepedelaolla de la olla

A 20 year old woman died after taking too many paracetamol tablets, a coroner has told an enquiry today.

Desiree Philips upped her dose of the over-the-counter drug after a routine breast surgery and was found unconscious next to a packet of tablets at a home where she lived with her 11 -month – old son.

The inquest heard how Desiree died of liver failure on August 26 last year after being transferred to another hospital for a transplant operation.

Carmarthenshire Coroner Mark Leyton said: “Desiree was using paracetamol for pain relief and may have been exceeding the normal dose. But it remains unclear whether it was a built up or whether she took a large single dose.”

The case is the latest to present the danger of the drug when taken in an incorrect dose.

A Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency Spokesman said: “Paracetamol is a safe and effective painkiller when used correctly and when dosage recommendations are followed. Every pack has a warning about overdose and instructions not to take more than eight tablets in any 24-hour period.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 451 other followers

%d bloggers like this: