The alarm was raised at 19:07 at Rock Elim Church on Morningside Road. Upon arriving at the scene, fire crews discovered the blaze which had broken out in the roof space of the church building.
A spokesperson for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said: “The blaze was extinguished by two firefighters in breathing apparatus using a high pressure hose reel and small tools for cutting away”.
“Asbestos was suspected in the construction of the roof and crews wore protective clothing and masks to avoid any potential contamination”.
Part of Morningside Road was closed off while the fire was being extinguished and no one was injured in the incident.
However, despite the blaze posing a serious threat to those working at nearby businesses, employees were not advised to leave the premises by members of the fire crew at the scene.
A representative for Bubbles Bathrooms, the closet business to Elim Church at Holy corner, was surprised to learn what had happened and complained about not being advised by the authorities to leave the area.
“This is the first I have heard about this incident. I remember seeing many firefighters on the streets but nobody came to inform me about it. If I had known, I would have closed the shop straight away for security reasons. Somebody should have told us what was going on”.