By Fraser Ryan
The controversy surrounding Saturday night’s WBA and IBF Super-middleweight title fight has refused to dissipate, after George Groves claimed Carl Froch would lose his ‘credibility’ by not accepting a rematch.
Froch retained his titles this past weekend after the pair’s fight in Manchester was marred by referee Howard Foster’s controversial decision to stop the fight in the ninth round. Groves had been dominating much of the action, but the fight was stopped after the first spell of sustained pressure by Froch appeared to have Groves on the ropes.
Groves expressed his frustration during an interview with BBC Radio Five Live. Groves said: “His [Froch’s] credibility will be shot to pieces if he decides to go a different route apart from fighting me. I feel for boxing’s sake this rematch needs to take place or Carl Froch will retire. I understand if he wants to retire. He took a hell of a lot of punches in that fight, maybe lasting punches. For his health, he needs to get a full check to make sure he is fit to box if that is what he decides to do.”
Froch then responded through an interview with Sky Sports in which he stated while he would give Groves a rematch, the decision was ultimately not up to him. Froch said: “I’m happy to honour the crowd, fans and George Groves with a rematch, if my trainer and promoter both agree. I don’t swerve or duck anybody. If George wants a rematch and it makes sense, then of course we’ll get it on. It’s not my decision.”
Promoter Eddie Hearn has said he is hopeful of booking the rematch next year, claiming it could be one of the biggest fights in UK history. Hearns said: “We have had a number of approaches from football clubs and outdoor stadiums… I think Froch v Groves II would be the biggest grossing outdoor boxing event of all time in this country.”