A Gurkha soldier has been awarded the second highest medal for bravery after fighting off over a dozen Taliban soldiers single-handed. Acting Sergeant Dipprasad Pun was on sentry duty at a checkpoint near Babaji in Afghanistan’s Helmand province in September last year when insurgents opened fire on the compound from all sides.
Sergent Pun, 31 from Ashford in Kent, found himself trapped by an onslaught of firepower from rocket-propelled grenades and AK-47s. In retaliation, he fired off more than 400 rounds of ammunition, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine. At one point, when his rifle failed, he resorted to throwing the tripod of his machine gun at an insurgent who tried to climb a ladder to where he took cover.
Acting Sergeant Pun said he was “a lucky guy” and was very proud to receive the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross.
Recalling the incident, he said: “As soon as it was confirmed they were Taliban, I was really scared, But as soon as I opened fire that was gone. I just thought ‘Before they kill me I have to kill some.’ I thought they were going to kill me after a couple of minutes, definitely.”
Acting Sergeant Pun, originally from the village of Bima in Nepal, whose father and grandfather were both also Gurkhas, believed at the time there were about 30 attackers. He was told later by villagers it was more like 12 or 15.
The citation on the medal states that he saved the lives of three comrades who were in the checkpoint at the time. “I think I am a very lucky guy, a survivor,” he said. “Now I am getting this award, it is very great and I am very happy.”
Yemeni forces have opened fire on protesters in Sanaa killing at least 30 people and wounding 200. Medical sources and eyewitnesses have described how security forces and unidentified snipers opened fire on the protesters who marched after Muslim prayers.
Security forces initially fired into the air to prevent the anti-government protesters from marching from Samaa University, where the protesters headquarters are found. After this initial gunfire, shooting continued and the death toll mounted.
Tens of thousands of protesters had gathered to oppose the rule of President Ali Abdullah Saleh calling for him to immediately step down from power.
“The situation is tragic. There are dozens killed and hundreds wounded. We couldn’t send relief,” said Abdul-Qawi al-Shumeiri, secretary-general of the doctor’s syndicate.
Protesters accused plainclothes snipers of firing from rooftops and have said that they have detained 7 of them. “The youth stormed one of the buildings and arrested seven snipers who were firing on the demonstrators,” said activist Mohamed al-Sharaby.
Yemen has been hit by mass demonstrations for weeks as growing pressure mounts on President Saleh to relinquish power now. He has already agreed to step down in 2013, promising a new constitution to grant more powers to parliament. Tens of thousands of protesters though have gathered in other cities across the country, not only Sanaa, calling for his immediate exit.
The United States have condemned the bloodshed, and backed the right for peaceful protest, but insist that only dialogue can end the political crisis.
Mansionhouse Road in the heart of the Grange, one of Edinburgh’s more middle class areas, was the scene of another mugging this week. It follows a similar incident in which a man of a similar description attacked a pensioner on Findhorn Place a few streets away.
Check out the full story on our Edinburgh Napier News TV News Bulletin at 3pm.
A second explosion tore through a New Zealand mine today leaving no survivors, according to New Zealand police. Families of the 29 miners, including two Scottish men, who had been trapped in the Pike River coal mine since Friday, were informed of the disaster in a private meeting.
An initial explosion in the mine, located near Greymouth, on the north-west coast of New Zealand’s South Island, had occurred on Friday, leaving the miners trapped 2.3 km underground. Robots and cameras were sent into the mine today but had to be halted as a second massive explosion ripped through the mine. It has been confirmed by police that this second explosion has killed all those trapped in the mine.
“Unfortunately I have to inform the public of New Zealand at 2.37pm today there was another massive explosion underground and based on that explosion no one would have survived,” said police superintendent Gary Knowles, in charge of the rescue operation at the Pike River mine.
Relatives emerged from the meeting crying. Many were angry and criticised the slow pace of the rescue efforts. Lawrie Drew, father of 21-year-old Zen Drew, said rescue teams should have entered the mine in the hours following the first blast, when the dangerous methane and carbon monoxide gases would have been sucked out of the mine. “There was a window of opportunity on Friday, why didn’t they take it?” he said.
Rescuers though have stressed that high levels of toxic and explosive gasses meant that rescue teams couldn’t themselves enter the mine making the rescue an extremely difficult operation.
New Zealand’s Prime minister has described the incident as a “national tragedy”. “New Zealand has been devastated by the news that we have all been dreading,” he told a televised press conference.
Among the dead are two Scots, 25-year-old Malcolm Campbell, and Peter Rodger, 40. In a statement, the foreign secretary, William Hague, said, “many British citizens have made their home in New Zealand and the loss of Mr Rodger, Mr Campbell and their colleagues will have touched the hearts of many in the UK.” The Queen has also made a statement, saying she is “deeply saddened” by the news.
Peter Whittal, the chief executive of Pike River Coal, who runs the mine, said they would make every effort to retrieve the bodies of the men, whose ages range from 17 to 62. In an emotional statement to reporters he said “We want our boys back and we want to get them out.”
New Zealand’s last mine disaster was in 1967 when 19 miners were killed in a gas explosion at Strongman mine, not far from Pike River. Their worst disaster was in 1896 at Brunner mine when another gas explosion killed 65 men.
Singapore Airlines have grounded three of their Airbus A380s. The three planes, currently in Sydney, Melbourne and London, have all been taken from service in order to undergo engine changes after the discovery of oil stains.
The decision comes in the wake of an engine malfunction on a Qantas Airbus A380 which saw an explosion in one of the planes engines last week. As a result the aircraft was forced to make an emergency landing at Changi Airport in Singapore.
The Rolls Royce Trent 900 engines will be changed for a newer version of the engines. Singapore Airlines say that they will remain with the Rolls Royce engines, but with a minor variation. In a statement they said, “We apologise to our customers for flight disruptions that may result and we seek their understanding”.
It is understood that similar reasons were behind the malfunction on the engine of the Qantas A380 which exploded over Batam City, showering the Indonesian city with debris. Investigations show that an oil leak in one of the turbines was the reason behind the incident.
Singapore Airlines have stressed that the incidents are unrelated. A spokeswoman for the airline said that the oil stains found on their three A380s differ to the oil leak found on the Qantas plane. “This is a precautionary move to find out what caused the oil stains” she said, adding “Rolls Royce recommended a detailed inspection of the engines.”
The airline later said that the remaining eight of its A380s will remain in service but could not rule out further engine changes. Bryony Duncan-Smith, spokeswoman for the airline told Australian radio: “At this stage there is no indication that more engines on our A380 aircraft will need to have precautionary engine changes carried out, but I would certainly not rule it out.”
Experts say that the current Qantas investigation has pointed to a design fault within the engine which may be easy to fix but will take time. “From information provided to date, it would appear to be a design issue and not a power setting issue. Lower power settings are not the solution,” said Peter Marosszeky, an aviation expert at the University of New South Wales.
Rolls Royce share prices rallied yesterday after a 10% fall two days after the Qantas incident which wiped £1.2 billion off the company’s value. After this most recent announcement from Singapore Airlines though, share prices are expected to tumble again.
Computer games fans have been queuing in wintry conditions to get their hands on the latest Call of Duty release. Call of Duty: Black Ops went on sale at midnight last night and hundreds of stores across the country saw queues stretching out of the doors as fans waited for their copy.
Retailer HMV, opened over 100 of their stores across the UK and Ireland at midnight including branches in London’s Oxford Street, Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin and Edinburgh in order to cater for the demand. Store managers say that some queues formed over 12 hours earlier.
HMV’s head of games, Tim Ellis, said “Call of Duty: Black Ops is all set to challenge last year’s phenomenon Modern Warfare 2 to become the fastest and biggest-selling title in games history.”
Already, it is expected to sell over a million copies in its first week of release. With the approach of Christmas as well, expectations for this latest release from Activision are at an all time high. Ellis added “with more people now owning a console than ever before, we expect it to go on to become not just the most popular game ever, but an iconic release that will take gaming on to a new level.”
The 18 rated commando style game, where players take the role of special agents forces in places like Russia and Vietnam during the Cold War, has a lot to live up to though. Its predecessor, Modern Warfare 2, generated more than £620 million and smashed the record for most copies sold in its first day with an estimated 1.23 million units sold, grossing £47 million according to industry body UKIE. With pre-order sales for Black Ops higher than those of Modern Warfare 2 though, it would seem that the latest addition to the Call of Duty series is well on its way to becoming the best-selling video game of all time.
As a series, the Call of Duty franchise has generated approximately £5 billion, the highest of any other video game series. Black Ops is just the latest high-profile release from Activision. In September the video game giants also released Halo: Reach, the most recent instalment of the best-selling Halo series.
Sales figures for Blacks Ops will be released over the next week.
George Bush has claimed that information obtained from terrorists through the interrogation method of ‘water-boarding‘ saved British lives. In his memoirs he claims that the controversial technique, which simulates drowning, helped to break up plots on Canary Wharf and Heathrow airport.
Bush confirmed his actions in an interview last night with The Times newspaper. He explained how he authorised the use of water-boarding to extract information from Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks. When asked if he had by the interviewer, he responded: “Damn right!”.
Bush said: “Three people were waterboarded and I believe that decision saved lives.”
In his book, ‘Decision Points’, the former president explains how the interrogation method helped break up plots in London as well as on US diplomatic facilities abroad and also on multiple targets across the U.S. He also defends his actions by claiming that water-boarding is not torture but is in fact one of a number of “enhanced interrogation techniques”. Nonetheless, the method was banned by President Obama who does regard it as torture.
Bush refuses to accept this definition. In an interview with NBC’s Today Programme, he said: “The lawyer said it was legal. He said it did not fall within the anti-torture act. I’m not a lawyer. But you gotta trust the judgment of people around you, and I do.”
When asked about allegations that lawyers were pressurised into giving the president the answer he wanted to hear, Bush directed people to read the book. An identical answer was given when Matt Lauer from NBC asked if it would be legal for another country to water-board a U.S soldier.
The technique was first approved for Abu Zubaydah, an al-Qaida figure arrested in Pakistan in 2002. He was suspected of involvement in a plot to attack Los Angeles International airport.
Bush writes “His understanding of Islam was that he had to resist interrogation only up to a certain point. Waterboarding was the technique that allowed him to reach that threshold, fulfil his religious duty, and then co-operate.”
Bush also admitted that water-boarding would have been used on others if the right people were captured. “Had we captured more al-Qaida operatives with significant intelligence value” he says, “I would have used the programme for them as well.”
The claim that Water-boarding prevented attacks on London though has been challenged by Kim Howells, the former chair of the Commons intelligence and security committee. Talking to BBC Radio 4’s Today Programme, he said “we’re not convinced that waterboarding produced information which was instrumental in preventing these plots coming to fruition and murdering people”. Instead, Howells believes that Bush was simply trying to “justify what he did to the world”.
In the same programme, former shadow home secretary David Davis shared similar beliefs. He said that torture does not work. “People under torture tell you what you want to hear,” he said. “You’ll get the wrong information and … apart from being immoral, apart from destroying our standing in the world, and apart from undermining the way of life we’re trying to defend, it actually doesn’t deliver.”
The British Government have long rejected the use of water-boarding, considering it a form of torture.
In a speech last month, chief of MI6 John Sawers insisted that MI6 had nothing to do whatsoever with torture which he described as “illegal and abhorrent”.